Sunday 22 December 2013

Blue Room 11

But the indiscretions of the night pass away soon enough, and are replaced by the wide, hard, rational day, when a young man must be grave, composed, and set his mind on business. Here I am now, careful shirt and neat tie, serious expression, absorbed in my sets of calculations. In the early afternoon whilst at work ,y favourite place is at the summit of one of the livingroom's walls, here I can perch quite comfortably, with a foot in either room as it were, and work undisturbed. I like the feeling of elevation from the common round I am given by this position. Ditto my umpire's chair.
But on with the day's work: My laptop is open and ready. I have balanced on the foam-thick wall various bundles of memos and notes, the requisite sections of newspapers, chew-ended biros. In my brand new foolscap notebook, glossy red cover, I hurriedly carry out an analysis of the world's markets. Index and share prices. The plummeting or ascending of commodities. The beautiful and intricate relationships of the dollar, pound, euro, yen, so delicately transcribed.
Now I have the gambler's temperament, momentarily reckless, unfeeling, hardbitten. If we deal primarily in thousands then steadily and with coolness increase the mark. The truth is when riding the rough beast called the market one must expect the occasional jarring loss. For which read, in my case, a series of disastrous and foolish investments.

No comments: