Tuesday 28 July 2009

cosmology 3

Black night, empty space. Imagine a void that you could travel in eternally, meeting nothing. Imagine it utterly silent, and you, a mote, a speck, drifting through it.
Night gives us intimations of mortality because it is boundless. The night sky does not confine, but can be penetrated, and travelled into endlessly, giving up all its vast silent secrets. Travelling into the night sky you would emerge into space and notice no difference, for night is eternity descended upon earth, it is a glimpse of the absolute. Neither benevolent nor malevolent, but as vast, as impartial, as silent as eternity. It's a quiet, placid fact which speaks of an unimaginable stretch of distance.
Yes, at night i can glimpse eternity. I can feel myself as a speck in the void, a mote in the night air, unstable, invisible, of meaning only to myself. During the day i can see from horizon to horizon, and am enclosed by the dome of the sky, my eye can't seem to penetrate that hard blue, like a neat gloss of paint. Then i can feel myself a man on earth, attuned to mundane things. To go beyond earth, to leave it behind in my mind, i need darkness. Darkness you could swim into as though through an ocean, going ever further outwards. I know before i submerge myself that the ocean is limitless... What confounds me, what embitters me is that i am just a poor swimmer with feet of clay. The depth and distance of the ocean makes me dizzy, and i might lose my way.
Who'll have the courage to look with me into the night sky and say that what they see is something that is endless? Who'll then have the gall, the impudence, to give us a reason for our being set in the midst of it? Really there are no reasons and no answers. I am hushed by the blackness, the absence of sound. I am a speck in the limitless void. Not going forward, and yet not remaining static.

No comments: