Saturday 31 December 2011

Corpse nightmare 2

Beside the livingroom are two identical rooms. (In reality there is only one room here). I throw open the first door and hesitate, looking inside. A narrow room with a dark shadow on the wall. I remember some professor of parapsychology told me, "It has an evil ambience". Attracts evil spirits to it.
So I take the other room, at the front of the house, with a window in it. In this groundfloor corner of the house I feel a certain safety. All I remember is this: "Make no sound to Wake the Dead". This is like a heavy obligation in the air, behind it, something I am utterly afraid of. It hangs in the suffocating air.
In the room is a writing-desk and a grey, old-fashioned TV-radio combination. Outside dawn is breaking. In order to dispel the nightmares I switch on the TV. Tiny black n white screen but it does the trick, showing breakfast TV newsreaders, bright, officious and unworried. I put the volume to its maximum, blaring the radio too, as a challenge to the evil spirits. If noise wakes the dead then let's wake the buggers up.
Will they be able to withstand the daylight world, the media blare, the approaching dawn? Blaring TV and radio are my allies in that they represent rationality, the antidote to the dead spirits. I cling to them out of a desperate fear.
(In one of the rooms is a Victorian doctor who looks like Noddy Holder, muttonchops and a smug, flushed face. Bulging eyes and a leer, seems full of omniscient knowledge. Nods repetitively. "Oh yes, oh yes. How does it feel to have the gripes?" Some disease of the gums and teeth, of the digestive system, the stomach. To do with the process of eating. A horrible stuffy and diseased feeling of the mouth. Botulism, rickets, gripes, horrible diseases.
And he gives me the following very specific information: "You will become ill on Saturday April the fourth, oh yes, oh yes" This is actually a Wednesday, and the approximate time when the term ends.)

No comments: