Friday 4 March 2011

Ghost 8

Give me softly back old sorrows
Snatched from jaws of death.
Permit me to remember
Excuses, drear days of sixteen,
Banks, burns, and braes, afternoon bridges,
The warm girl at my side.
Let me see again, darkly, her grins and words,
Melting gently in the autumn air,
Curses in November to make me crave comfort
In lamplit halls, in yellow wallpaper,
When I snapped off the light and sunk into dreams,
Empty-handed, never knowing.
Let me kiss the phantom of old times,
Survey again cracked classrooms, empty chairs,
Where once, in joyless afternoons, we sat,
Only to leave for blue moons set outside
Penniless in the rigid sky.
I'll tear the teeth of death to win back to that sight!
I'll swear against time's armies, i'll submit
To any loss of sanity or will,
To feel again, the kiss of old fate,
The smell of perfume ever dear to me.
To touch again, the soft, betraying flesh,
And speak with life to life upset,
Before the arc of time all falls away,
And leaves me with a broken plate.
My words resound,
And echo back from empty walls.
The sound of stone on stone,
Of dust whispering to dust.

No comments: