Thursday 14 July 2011

Motiveless Random Massacre (No.3)

Coming out of school near the frosty playground. The sky pink and the scarves waving.
Up a street like Edinburgh's Rose Street I see a man. Looking like Leon. Thin and haggard, dark glasses. Though face red and excited. Blustering, as if crying.
Staggers drunkenly and I notice in his hand what must be a toy gun. A heavy black weapon.
Is this a joke. Suddenly the gun goes off and someone falls. A lady drops shopping bags.
No-one screams. I am tempted to laugh the shootings are so bare and game-like. (Not at all like in the movies).
But I'm afraid of being shot so I run up the street toward barricades where other frightened citizens are sheltering.
Before I run I see him shoot a lad in the head who at once drops. The actual shootings are quite airy and pleasant visually. As if it were all a game.
I run with my long coat down the street. I can feel him behind me. My back an obvious target. Oh fuck I'm gonna get hit oh fuck I'm gonna get hit.
But I reach a wide alley where I know I'll be safe. No-one else has thought to run up here.
Two firemen stand nearby, quite unconcerned, putting out a small blaze.
They are watching the killer.
-Ha ha ha.
-Ho ho ho, bust a cap in his ass.
(I take it from this that the SWAT team has arrived and disabled the killer.)

No comments: