Sunday 28 August 2011

(Aftermath to the Night in College)

(I had thought myself alone in the college. Petty theft from empty rooms.
Leave a surprise under the desk I will later occupy. Silver tinfoil.
Now in full day I descend the back stair. And come at the bottom of the spiral to a door. It is the priest's door.
I see his name written in the wood. Homely brown.
Down the stairs behind me a redhaired girl bustles with her bag. Brushes past me and straight through the priest's door closing it behind her.
Must be a Catholic girl.
And if I could only go in too.
Instead I see the big window. And outside of it the big vista. A winter field illuminated by a summer sun. Like a hologram of Van Gogh. Spectral in liquid and frost.
And my bare feet feel free.
I realise I can leave the college any time I like. And if I can leave why not leave.
Take the back road.)

No comments: