Sunday 28 August 2011

A Night in College

As punishment, and to make up time, I have to spend a night in college.
I choose a room on the 3rd floor. An unused classroom. And my bed is a mattress in the corner.
Sleeping there at night to make up the time. With my lamp and a book at bedtime.
But after a night of fretful sleep the dog is barking to be let out. I angrily throw back the duvet and march downstairs to let him out.
It is around seven in the morning and the college is empty. I see long sunlight slant through the windows.
I am in my pyjamas, which consist of a thin jersey and a threadbare pair of trousers. As I traipse barefoot through the halls, I see that some of the staff have arrived and are eyeing me.
And in the crowded entrance hall I meet the administrator. A hard-faced woman in a business suit.
-I'm sorry, we weren't aware of your part-time status. Your attendance must be verified. You'll have to spend another week.
I accept it all, shabby and soft-eyed.

No comments: