Saturday 19 March 2011

Spring Is Not Coming

Spring blossoms in May
And turns its face deliberately
In moulting yellow streets-
Dropping blossoms on the sinners
And the semi saints who fondle crimes
In bars.
Spring born into winter- in its own haze of light
Disregarded in a street
Before we were born.
New Spring was sadly falling
Outside the window
Before I awoke.
Spring a handle of clumsy wish fulfilment- and its blossoms
only garbage. It is a dream Spring that brings scents,
to purify city streets.
Its cloak is large. It speaks in many voices.
It appears suddenly on a corner, where the lovers look up.
Disregarded by most.
Spring is not coming. Not like the rush of a train.
Spring always descends- It is a momentary thing.
Like Love, walking in the backstreets,
It hands tied behind its back-
I do not believe in that Spring,
and Love had drowned itself in the black water.
(But through my little dream the Spring has spoken:
"From inside. And I am as light as air.
Silver-clad and like a billow
I am passing over cities and times
Rushing over cities and valleys
And my hand washing the stain away.
My heart is flying like a death-bird
Speaking strains of new music
... I am soaring.")
And, from somewhere, as if a sorrowful spring has brought itself into being in mid-winter, a shower of rose-petals descend on us. They skitter among the sweetie-wrappers in the road. Scarlet debris, like rose-blossoms.

No comments: