Sunday 3 November 2013

Blue Room 4

Closing credits: List of names rolls upward quickly and without consequence. Impressive rolling theme-music signalling the end of the show.
Ah, the closing theme music! Tumbrils and cascades of sad Manhattan skylines! What memories and emotions you awake in me! Surely the saddest and emptiest sound: The closing theme-song. Minder! Dallas! Dukes of Hazard! How tragic it ever must be when the last note fades, when the last credit has rolled...
The saddest and most emotive closing theme-music of all was that of "Taxi": Mellow, urban-jazzy in an utterly drippy and tragic way, featuring a sad flute and lethargic keyboard, with the yellowcab meandering at night over the Brooklyn bridge. Used to come on in Britain on Sunday nights, and the closing theme-music to me meant one thing, time for bed and in the morning grey doom of Monday morning and school. So that the emotion even today is still waked in me by that dreadfully stirring and complacent bit of lounge-jazz...

But upon hearing the first notes of the closing theme-music I realize suddenly the show is over. And I totally unprepared! In a great fluster and panic I leap down from my high chair.
The show always ends either in a note of resolution (like a sitcom) or on a note of tension (like a soap opera) and I'm afraid I was so bound up in my problems that I completely failed to witness the crucial cliffhanger ending, and/or any decisions that may've been reached about me and my fate.
"I missed that. What happened at the end?" I inquire of Kojak, very concerned, as the closing credits continue to roll.
Kojak, smiling, turns his back on me and swiftly ambles away. Just before he moves out of shot, he mumbles "I'm not gonna tell ya son. That'd be too easy. Some things ya have to work out fer yaself".

No comments: