Sunday 7 August 2011

My Big American Car

Driving in my big American car. Right hand drive.
Beside me, the mayor's blonde daughter smiling. She asks me if I need all the seats.
I say I guess not. So I sell her the driving seat for eleven dollars.
I like driving in a car with no driving seat. More leg room that way.
I love my big American car. It's big and white and secret, like a mafioso car in a movie.
I drive far up a dirt track. On a reconnaissance mission. Electric lights on in the car by means of a switch.
Contrary to the highway code, I switch all lights off. Because I'm on a secret mission.
I peep out from the curtains I have drawn across the side windows. And drive very slowly.
I see in the distance the back of my own house. There's a bedroom curtain half-drawn. There's a lightshade slanting from the ceiling.
(Secret knowledge of abandoned rooms.)
I reach the end of the dirt track. With difficulty I sweep the car into a U-bend and back toward the main road.
Heading fast toward the main road and home.

No comments: