Wednesday 9 November 2011

Art school interview dream 1

An interview at Edinburgh. My attempts "to get into Edinburgh". In the back of my mind: that's where Lisa is.
I arrive at the place. Official air, like a dole office.
Bespectacled woman behind desk interviews me. Reminds me of Beth, an old tutor from Telford. Beth was a very nice lady and in my waking hours I feel friendly toward her. The interviewer is perhaps an amalgam of several female interviewers I have encountered.
Long nose, dark hair, glasses. The two times I've been interviewed at Edinburgh, they used a male and female interviewer.
First time: Woman seemed impressed with the portfolio and interview, glanced at the man, nodding, to gauge his response. The guy however continued to look doubtful. Frowned a little.
Second time: Went very well. Woman youngish short-haired. Guy looked pliable, soft, feminine. They were impressed with my published poetry. As it was my second time, I was super-confident.
"What vibe did you get?" said Lisa.
The dream interviewer is criticising my appearance and general demeanour. Other official figures are around, listening. All like the art college interviewers: Relaxed, informal, exuding youth and humour.
They have learned how to be authoritative and yet not compromise their youthfulness. This youthfulness seems eternal, one has the feeling it could extend into the fifties and beyond.

No comments: