Tuesday 8 November 2011

Electric White Part 4

We went on and came to where all the trees are. Between Lochore and Crosshill there was a veritable pine forest you'd have to traverse. You'd walk down a curious wooded path, past rows and rows of dark-green trees.
By the entrance or in some corner beside it I stopped to piss. There was a dirt track... There may've been a turnstile... The dirt track went off between the trees.
I felt viciously happy, extraordinarily buoyant. I didn't give a fuck.
We were all drunk by this time but me especially. I was perfectly happy. We accompanied Ellen home. We arrived back in his low street and Ellen went back inside. As we walked away from the house I took another big swig from the half-empty cider bottle. I knew at that point it would be wise to stop.
We climbed the opposite green bank to some grey civic building. Mack and Joe pissed there side by side. Their piss formed two grey streams behind them on the concrete. I said, "We'll name them the river Mack and the river Joe..."
Old women lived around there.
We ended up back in Crosshill. We went in somebody's house. It was the latter of the two houses in the street, where the young couple stayed. It was a few doors down from the other one. Inside the guy with the moustache was watching the Untouchables on Friday night TV. I slumped in his big brown easy chair and asked him "Do you mind me being drunk?". He didn't seem to mind at all.
... I said I had to go outside. I sat on the doorstep at the side of the house. I felt confused. A kindly-faced, middle-aged guy emerged from a neighbouring house to put his bucket out or something. (Perhaps he was putting something in the bin). He laughed shortly when he saw me and said, "Are you drunk?". I answered, "A wee bit".

No comments: