Tuesday 8 November 2011

Electric White Part 5

At some point we went to the other house, farther up the street... I went in the livingroom. We were in Joe's mum's bedroom. It was warm, bright, muddled. We sat by the bed. I looked at the cheap country n western CD's... They were crap. He went, "That's my mum's...".
He stripped to the waist at one point. I went, "Hey, he's strippin!...". Everything was soft-focus and rosy and bright, like a blurred photo in a steamy room.
I lay on the livingroom couch and immediately went to sleep. I took off my coat and glasses. Mack was probably directing my activities at this point. He would've been a bit concerned for me.
I then left the house to vomit more than I have ever vomited in my life. I did it in the front garden. It lasted for ages. Mack was always hovering around, aiding and abetting the process. He brought out some water, perhaps with salt dissolved in it, in an effort to quicken the process. He got behind me, saying "Now don't be thinkin I'm a poof Michael" and tried to Hiemlich manoeuvre me.
I only just remembered to retrieve my coat and glasses from the house. Other people were around... Mack was concerned for me. There may have been mutterings from him about "take Michael home". After a while we did set off for his home, him supporting me more or less.
Once I set foot inside his mum's kitchen I had to puke again. He went "Over there Michael" and a fresh dollop of sick hit the stainless steel of the kitchen sink.
After that I was taken upstairs and put to bed in his bed. I took off my shoes and lay down. Mack must've left. His brother Andy was already in bed. I didn't sleep that night. All night I lay there in that darkened bedroom, dazed, stupefied, cast into a new phase of life.
When I woke up I discovered a grey stain of vomit on the tongue of my trainer. I went to the bathroom, locked the door, and was sick in an appallingly painful way. I felt my stomach contract violently, and hit the base of my ribs. Nothing came from my mouth but jets of clear, greasy liquid.
After this I felt perfectly OK.
Ellen had given me a cassette, with "Take That and Party" written on it, which I was supposed to tape over with some Nirvana or something. I taped "In Utero"...
I also brought with me a Rage Against the Machine album (on cassette). It was a great album with "Killing in the Name" etc, on it. The cover featured the famous photo of the Buddhist monk setting fire to himself.
These two tapes were in my jacket pocket. My coat had been left for a spell on the Easey's livingroom couch while I went outside to puke.
The next day the tapes had disappeared.

No comments: