Friday 11 November 2011

No Big Deal

I had a job interview in the west. All my job interviews seem to be situated in a westerly quarter.
I remember that Cockney bus driver drove me all the way to Steelend that time. An ignorant man.
One day I took to walking and walked all the way to Crossford in fact Carneyhill and beyond. I was threatened by groups of boys on streetcorners.
The idea was to choose a point of the compass and walk in that direction all day. In this case it was west. When undressing for bed that night I took off my trainers and unleashed a foul stench, as of old stale popcorn in cinema seats. Due to all the strenuous walking.
These squares are like the squares of Edinburgh New Town. Charlotte Square of mysteries, Sundays waiting for a bus. At the other end, St Andrew's its twin. Ever walked round a draughty dusklit square?
My beloved Edinburgh, 20's jazz, the smell of hops....
Like the square in Grand Theft Auto you'd drive your car to... It was called "Central Park" or even "South Park"... Near the sidewalk were ringing telephones. Take an A-Z, a map of some description. Glossy.
A gardening job up in the grey country. Near villages. In Culross. "Hard landscaping", drystone walls, etc. But I really want this job.
The address is printed clearly on the document. All is glossy and user-friendly.
Anxiety at dusk. Sleek as the Old Town...
Had to stop in a phonebooth to consult my A-Z.

No comments: